Tuesday, July 12, 2011


I'll just come right out and say it, there is nothing more important to me than family. In fact, I can't think of a single thing I'd rather do than spend time with mine. Don't get me wrong, I love my computer, work, to watch t.v., and have dinner with girlfriends, but none of those compare to building family relationships. So even though our bi-annual family reunion was canceled (due to the Norther AZ fires), I decided to make the five hour drive to see my family anyway. Thankfully, my sister came along to keep me company.
We arrived in Eager Saturday afternoon, and, as soon as we stepped out of the car, I took a deep breath in. I hadn't noticed it before, but Eager has a smell all its own. It's a good smell, fresh, clean, and familiar. Later that night, we had dinner with my cousins, Linda and Stacey (and Stacey's son Kenny). It was so nice. I hadn't seen, or talked to Linda, in a very long time. Hopefully, I was able to convince her to join facebook so we can keep it touch. We'll see...
After breakfast Sunday morning, we decided to go for a walk. We had to burn those traveling calories somehow, and neither of us brought running shoes. We walked a part of Springerville I had never been to before and we happened upon this historical building. If memory serves me right,  it was the first LDS Church meeting-house in the late 1800's.
A different view...You guys know how this kind of stuff tickles my picture taking bones(wink).
After we showered and got ready, we drove around to see all the old sites. This is the site were my Great Grandparents' house stood before it had to be torn down. The tree swing has been there since I can remember (although I'm not sure how long), and the outhouse way in the back is the original from before indoor plumbing (wink).

A different view.
My favorite road in all of Eager.
A few more for fun.
After our excursion, we headed down to Greer to visit my Uncle Kenny's family. We had fun visiting for a few hours, and then we headed down to the creek to frolic in the water.
I believe Greer was the hardest hit by the fires. In the distance you could see the whole side of the mountain where it had burned, and ash still floated around in the air. In fact, a few of the cabins where my Uncle's family stayed burned down in the fire prior to their arrival.

From left to right, Linda, Daniel, Lori, & Stacey.
Baby Kenny with his Mama.
Sunday evening we got to visit with the rest of the family at my cousin Rita's house. It was so nice to see everyone and I miss them already. So much so that I decided I couldn't wait another two years to see them, and made a proclamation to go back next year, and every year after that.

1 comment:

Sher said...

how neat about that church meeting house. My husband is a chopper mechanic and was over there alot during the fires. We were in Greer in Jan for our anniversary, first time I've been there. It was so pretty. Even the Greer lodges we stayed in burned down a couple months ago by some accident.