Anyhow, this leads me back to my original post. This weekend I
With our purchase we also received a free copy of the movie Food, Inc. Which was funny because I told my husband earlier in the week that I wanted to watch it. So...I did. I wont go into a lot of details about it but I will tell you this. I really liked the overall theme. I will try to sum it up to the best of my abilities.
- Buy local (or from farmers market). I really enjoy the idea of this, and I'm going to definitely try harder. We have a local co-op that we have participated in, and want to take advantage of more often.
- Buy produce when it is in season. I will be the first to admit I'm not very educated on this subject. But I've already found numerous websites to help. I particularly like this one. Plus when buying local you don't really have a choice.
- Educate yourself, and your children about where your food comes from. It couldn't hurt right?
- Plant a garden. I have wanted to do this for so long. Growing up my grandparents whole back yard (yes, the whole thing) was one big garden. For much of my teen years my mother had her own garden as well. I'm hoping she will teach me a thing or two.
- Then the mother of them all...try to eat less meat. Wowser! The website challenges everyone to have one meat free day a week. I honestly think this will be a "challenge" for my family. But I am mostly curious to see the results. So wish us luck!